Translate

Sunday, January 14, 2018

The African American Sources & Other Sources For The Name "Daisha"

Edited by Azizi Powell

Revised January 15, 2018

This pancocojams post provides information and commentary about the African American sources and other sources for the female name "Daisha" and similarly pronounced female names.

This post is part of pancocojams' ongoing series on distinctive names and nicknames.

The content of this post is presented for etymological and cultural purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post.

DISCLAIMER:
This article does not indicate or imply that African American females are the only ones with the name "Daisha" or similarly pronounced names. However, this post does indicate that the majority of females with those names are African American.

****
PANCOCOJAMS NOTE
This recent article about a Louisiana teacher with the name "Deyshia" was the impetus for this post:
From https://www.today.com/news/handcuffed-teacher-deyshia-hargrave-opens-about-her-arrest-school-board-t121073
Handcuffed teacher Deyshia Hargrave opens up about her arrest at school board meeting

Jan. 11, 2018 at 8:52 AM Eun Kyung Kim

The Louisiana teacher who was handcuffed after being kicked out of a school board meeting in which she questioned the superintendent’s hefty pay raise is speaking out in her first interview following her arrest and encouraging others to take a stand.

A video of the dramatic arrest of Deyshia Hargrave has sparked outrage after the middle school English teacher spoke up Monday night at a Vermilion Parish School Board meeting.”...
-snip-
A photograph of Deyshia Hargrave and two videos are embedded in this article. Both videos include the pronunciation of the name “Deyshia” as "DAY-shah" or "DAY-shuh".

For the purpose of this post, it's important to note that Deyshia Hargrave appears to be a White woman. Prior to reading this article, because of her given name, I assumed that this teacher was Black. My (probably) erroneous assumption was based on the fact that the only people I knew or had heard of with the name "Daisa" (and similarly pronounced names) are Black. My assumption was also based on the fact that the name "Daisha" end with the "sha" sound which is very popular among contemporary (late 1960 to date) African Americans.

As a preface to a compilation of excerpts about the name "Daisha", here's a note that I included in some previous pancocojams post about distinctive African American names:

"African Americans are known to have a larger name pool than most population groups within the United States. Distinctive African American names include names that aren't commonly given in the United States. These names may be from traditional African languages, or from Arabic, or from other languages throughout the world, including certain names from European languages and from Hebrew which aren't that familiar in the United States. Distinctive African American names are also names that are newly created using a number of different strategies. Among these naming strategies are:
-respelling an already existing name so that it more closely fits how it is pronounced

-adding a certain prefix or a certain suffix to an already existing name or to a spelling variant of an existing name, or to a relatively newly coined name. For example, the prefix "La" is mostly, but not only added to certain female names, the prefix "De" is mostly but not always added to certain male names, the suffix "isha" is only added to female names, and the suffix "ious" is only added to male names.

-using capital letter for the first letter that occurs after a prefix

-adding an apostrophe or a hyphen in a name

-combining parts of two names (usually the names of the child's parents) to create the child's name

My interest in what I refer to as "distinctive" African American given names (meaning "first and middle names") was sparked when I received my "African free name"* "Azizi" in 1968. "African free names" is a term that afrocentric African Americans used in the late 1960s and 1970s to refer to traditional African or Arabic given names (or less often, to African or Arabic first names and last names) that were either chosen by individuals or given to individuals by other people. "Free names" replaced the European/Hebrew birth names which were called "slave names".

My name "Azizi" is a Swahili form of the Arabic female name "Aziza". In part because of Swahili's close relationship with Arabic, that East African and Central African language was the first traditional African languages that African Americans used as a source for our names and our children's names. Thanks to the availability of published books on African names in the 1970s, more African Americans began choosing given names from Akan, from Yoruba, Zulu, and from certain other traditional African languages.

[...]

A name could be spelled "the regular way" or spelled differently to more closely conform to the way it sounds. The first letter in the second syllable could be capitalized and/or an apostrophe or hyphen could separate the first syllable from the second syllable. Less often, the name could include an accent mark.

...the African American custom of conferring distinctive given names began centuries before the late 1960s and 1970s, although that custom appears to have increased since the late 1960s and on. And it's important to note that some distinctive African American originated personal names are more common (among African Americans) than other distinctive African American originated personal names. Also, some people who aren't Black have names that are African American originated or which are most popular among African Americans.
-snip-
My informal research on African American naming customs leads me to conclude that -for some reason or another- many African Americans have particular preferences for certain sounds. (My position is that other populations also have different sound preferences and I believe that sound preferences within a specific population can change over time). As such, I think that the name "Daisha" is "liked" by many African Americans because we generally have a preference for the "sha" and (to a lesser extent) "cha" prefixes and suffixes.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/05/arabic-names-that-begin-with-sh-or-ch.html for the pancocojams post "Arabic Names That Begin With "Sh" or "Ch". Links to a pancocojams post on Jamaican names that begin with "sh" or "ch" and a pancocojams post on Swahili names & Igbo names that begin with "sh" or "ch" are included in that post.

*Note that http://www.just-think-it.com/sbn/mormon-f.htm "1,500,000 baby names FEMALE Mormon baby names" includes "Deja" as a distinctive Mormon given name.

Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2018/01/distinctive-names-that-are-used-by-some.html for a pancocojams entitled "Distinctive Names That Are Used By Some African Americans & By Some Mormons"

Also, click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-i-got-my-african-name.html for the 2011 pancocojams post entitled "How I Got My African Name".

Also, click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/10/some-distinctive-african-american.html for a pancocojams post entitled Some Distinctive African American Female Names That Begin With "La". The link to the pancocojams post "Distinctive African American Male Names That Begin With "La" "is given in that post.


** Of course, all names were "made up" at one time or another.

****
SUMMARIZING MY OPINIONS REGARDING THE ETYMOLOGY OF THE NAME "DAISHA" (and similarly pronounced names)
-"Daisha" (and similarly pronounced names) is a given female name that originated in the United States.

-"Daisha" appears to usually be pronounced DAY-shah, but might also be pronounced other ways.

-Most of the females in the United States who have the name "Daisha" are Black, however there are non-Black females who also have that name. (Read comments #10, #30, and #42 in Except #2) below.

--"Daisha" appears to be of relatively recent origin among African Americans (1980s on*). However, the similar spelled (and pronounced?) female names "Diasia" is included Newbell Niles Puckett's list of 1877 - 1937 list of Black American names (as indicated on page 265 of Elza Dinwiddie-Boyd's book Proud Heritage: 11,001 Names for your African American Baby).

* According to http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Deja : "Deja entered the list in 1980-1989 and reached its peak position of #182 in the U.S. in the year 1996, and is presently at #1947. (2016 BIRTH STATISTICS)"

-The contemporary (1980s on) use of the name "Daisha" is probably not related to the somewhat similar female name "Dessie". That name is also included in Newbell Niles Puckett's list of 1877 - 1937 list of Black American names (as indicated on page 265 of Elza Dinwiddie-Boyd's book Proud Heritage: 11,001 Names for your African American Baby.)

-The female name "Daisha" may be related to Sherley Anne Williams' 1986 historical novel entitled Dessa Rose about an enslaved Black female with that name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dessa_Rose may have influenced the creation of the name "Daisha", but I doubt that that name account for the increased selection of that name by Black American. Also, the name "Daisha" predates that book. The earliest date for this name that is given in the comment section of Excerpt #2 in this post is 1980 (comment #44 below).

-From various online comments it appears that the main source for the coinage of the name "Daisha" is the purposely respelled word "deja" from the French term "deja vu". This respelling of the word "Deja" and its use as a given name was heavily influenced by Black model/actress Tyra Banks played the character "Deja" in the n the 1995 African American movie Higher Learning.

-"Daisha" could also be created from combining portions of two already existing given names (such as "David" and "Keisha".

-"Daisha" may sometimes be coined from the Latin name "Dacia" (an ancient Roman province)

-"Daisha" isn't usually derived from the Russian nickname "Dasha" which rhymes with the nickname "Sasha".

-"Daisha" is also probably not related to the Ethiopian name "Dessie" (a place name meaning "my joy") which also has been used as a female given name. Click https://wollo.org/local-history-dessie/ for a detailed Ethiopian article about "Dessie". However, since there's no established meaning for the name "Daisha", that meaning could be used for that name.

-The relative familiarity (among African Americans) with the female name "Daisha" can be partly attributed to that population's high familiarity with the (usually) male name "Deshaun" (and similarly spelled names such as "DaShawn". These contemporary African American originated names are pronounced "DAY-shawn".

-"Daisha" isn't an Arabic name, nor does it necessarily mean "being alive"*. Those idea likely came from the erroneous assumption that "Daisha" is a form of the Arabic female name "Aisha" which means "Life". However, "Aisha" is pronounced "i-EE-sha". But few people report the name "Daisha" being pronounced that way. That said, that meaning could be given for the name "Daisha" as there is not established meaning for that name.

*as indicated on http://www.thenamemeaning.com/daisha/
and
http://www.momjunction.com/articles/muslim-baby-girl-names-with-their-meanings_00330274/#gref
"Daisha:
This feminine Arabic origin name peaked in popularity in the year 1995. So if you want a distinctive name for your daughter, pick this name, meaning ‘alive’."
-snip-
"Daisha" and similarly spelled names aren't included in lists of female Arabic names such as http://tadeebulquran.com/muslim-girls-names-d/

**
Click http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2017/10/aisha-and-maisha-name-origins-meanings.html
"Aisha" And "Maisha" (Name Origins, Meanings, Variants, And Pronunciations)

****
EXCERPTS FROM ONLINE ARTICLES ABOUT THE NAME "DAISHA"
These excerpts are given in no particular order and are numbered for referencing purposes only.

EXCERPT #1
From http://www.baby-girl-names.org/d/daisha.htm

[...]

Daisha first appeared in the top thousand girl or boy names during 1995, which is the first year shown on the table. Daisha last appeared in either or both of these name lists during 2001,

[...]

During the last 125 years, parents have used Daisha as a girl's name nearly 100% of the time and almost never as a boy's name. Cumulative counts and total counts shown on the above tables are significantly lower than actual counts because the name Daisha appears in the top 1,000 girl names only 7 times during the last 125 years.

****
EXCERPT #2
From http://www.babynameshub.com/girl-names/Daisha.html
Daisha


..."A few facts about the girl's name Daisha:

Records indicate that 1,833 girls in the United States have been named Daisha since 1880.
The greatest number of people were given this name in 1995, when 313 people in the U.S. were given the name Daisha. Those people are now 21 years old.

So ... how do we know this stuff? Baby Names Hub identifies trends by analyzing vast amounts of data made available by the U.S. government and other public sources. This data, including social security statistics, provides detailed information on baby name popularity and trends in the United States.

[...]

[Pancocojams notes: These are selected examples of comments about the name "Daisha" that were given on that page. Note that some commenters indicate that they are White but people think thought that they were Black because of that name. I've added numbers to these comments for referencing purposes only.]

1. "my name is Daisha (day-sha) and i was boorn in 1998 and i love my Name even though people seem to pronounce it wrong they say Day-Jah its annoying but i always say the sh makes what sound. shh day-shha" May. 4, 2013:

**
2. "My name is Daisha (day-sha) and I am always surprised when people actually pronounce it correctly! Usually I get day-eesha or day-jaa. It doesn't bother me though, it is very unique and beautiful, thanks mom!" Jun. 20, 2012:

**
3. "my name is Daisha and i never knew how many people had my name. i met some people with my name before, hate when people pronounce it wrong but its unique and my dad got it from a song he heard." Jan. 27, 2011:

**
4. "I Love My Name. Its Dai'Sha Vaughna And I Think Its Very Unique But People Have That Name And Make It Ghetto ." Jan. 14, 2011:

**
5. "I NAMED MY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER DAISHA BC MY VERY FIRST BEST FRIEND WAS NAMED DACIA AND I NAMED HER AFTER THAT GIRL I JUS SPELLED IT DIFFRENTLY ITS PRONOUCED DAY-SHA!:) ITS A BEAUTIFUL" Dec. 14, 2010: Report as inappropriate

**
6. "my name is Daisha and people mispronounce it and i like that its unique and my mom got it from a song called "i love you Daisha" i hate it that people kept calling me die-asha and Dasha what kind of name is that? i never knew so many people had my name i only knew my cousin had my name my is pronounced Daja but my dad wanted it spelled with a s but my mom didn't o well i love my name :)" Dec. 3, 2010:

**
7. "My name is Daisha and it's pronounced day-sha. It gets mis-pronounced on a weekly basis (deja, di-eesha, deesha.) I love it though and wouldn't change it for the world. It is unique!" Oct. 5, 2010:

**
8. "I named my daughter Daisha. It's pronounced like Deja." Jan. 18, 2010

**
9. "Our daughter is named Daisha. We found the name in a book of baby names and changed the spelling form Dacia to Daisha when she was born in 1986. Still many people mispronounce it. We know of two other Daishas named since our daughter was born" Nov. 19, 2009:

**
10. "My name is Daisha and I am 31 years old! I never heard of anyone else with my name until I was 17 years old, back in 1995! I HATED my name when I was younger- but I love how different it is now... And it is funny, because I am a pale pasty white girl and when people meet me they do a double take and almost always say "You're white? Where did your parents get that name?" I have learned to smile and say "My mom was a hippy" That gets a chuckle. I love my name and am so glad I am no longer the only person in the world with it!! =)" Sep. 16, 2009:

**
11. "i named my daughter daisha in 2005 ... i thought i made it up lol untill i googled it one day . :-} i love this name and so does every person that meets her. We have met some DEJA'S around my city but no daisha's. we pronounce it day-sha ... my name is dana so one day my daughter told me our names sound alike and she likes our names i thought that was cute. this is a name for a princess" May. 25, 2009

**
12. "My oldest child name is Daisha.. I also thought I made it up my name is keisha and my husband name is david.I guess I didnt" Aug. 11, 2008

**
13. "i love my name cuz it is unique and not everyone has it..but my school it is like 2 girls with my name dacia,daja, but really my full name is adaisha so that makes me stand out ya digg.. ***LOvE AdAiShA LeShAY" Jul. 22, 2008

**
14. "I am actually a Daisha. My mom met a "daisha" but spelled differently. then she changed it up a little and now i am who i am! i like to be unique. hard to find the meaning though. :(" Jul. 9, 2008

**
15. "i LOVE MY NAME AND OMG ITS SO MANY PEOPLE WITH MY NAME LOL HOW TIGHT BUT MY NAME IS DAY-SHA LOL BUT SPELLED DAISHA AND A LOT PEOPLE SAY THE I WITH A E AND I HATE THAT BUT MY FRIENDS SAY MY NAME IS GEHTTO BUT I LOVE MY NAME AND NOT MANY POEPLE HAVE IT IN MY STATE SO IT YOU LIVE IN ST.LOUIS MO AND THIS IS YO NAME PLEASE CHAT WITH ME" Jun. 22, 2008

**
16. "i named my daughter daisha ... i thought i made it up ! lol well i love it and so does everyone else . i have yet to meet any one with it im from nj and there are alot of dejas but thats about it. i try not to say her name to much in public because i always hear people say hey i like that name and i dont want them to steal it !! ;-) nice to hear how older girls love there name i hope my daughter does when she grows up . Daisha is a very unique name fit for a queen !" Jun. 3, 2008

**
17. "My husband and I found the name "Dacia" in a baby book and, as a previous person to post on this site, changed the spelling to "Daisha" as we liked its look better. Yes, it is mispronounced quite often. A lot of people pronounce it like "Dash a" I think it should be clear how to say it but whatever. Everytime her name comes up we are told how beautiful it is and I agree. Her first and middle name are beautiful together - "Daisha Rose"" May. 25, 2008

**
18. "My name is Daisha; pronounced Day-sha!! I love my name...it's eccentric as am I!!! Yes it's always pronounced wrong, written wrong, etc. People are stupid...if you sound it out it sounds just like it's spelled!! BEAUTIFUL NAME!!!" Apr. 24, 2008

**
19. "my name is daisha. People mispronounce my name all the time its DAY sha! i dont like it when people put TA and La infront of Daisha its sounds awful!" Apr. 24, 2008

**
20. "Hi, my name is Daisha:pronounced Day-sha." I often get called many different names; such as Die- eja, or even Daisy!" I know, Daisy?" Anyway, i actually prefer people to pronounce it "Deja" like Deja Vu." I thought i was the only one with this name, but i guess not!" Mar. 23, 2008

**
21. "My name is Daisha, pronounced 'Day-sha' and in high school my not-so-funny economics teacher thought it was funny to call me "De ja vu.""

**
22. "my name is daisha, school was horrible no one could ever get it right they always said daja or die-shay." Aug. 4, 2007

**
23. "My name is Daisha and I have had some crazy experiences with it. I love my name dearly, but sometimes its such a pain to have a name that no one can pronounce. The most common mispronunciation would be something along the lines of die-ee-sha. Odd." Dec. 28, 2006

**
24. "I named my daughter Daisha because my name is La'keisha and my husband name is David. she was born in 1990 and I thought she was the only one with that name.....lol now ity is so popular... I ALSO have a daughter name dalea pronounced dah-lee-ah and a son named Da'nyre pronouced dah-ny-ree"

**
25. "My name is Daisha. It is also pronounced DAY SHA. I like my name. I think it's beautiful. As a unique person, my name helps define me. At first galance, people often call me D-sha, Deja, Dashya, Die-ee-sha. But it does not bother me, I like to correct them." Oct. 25, 2006

**
26. "I love my name. When I was young I hated it because it was unique and now that I am an adult (25) I love it BECAUSE it is unique. I am now making it my goal to name all my kids with unique names. One down ??? to go!! My name is pronounced Daysha (and I do wish it were spelled that way) because I have been called mostly Dai'sha or Dashia. But my mom says she was thinking of the pronounciation of Daisy when choosing the spelling of my name!!! I do know another Daisha, but she spells it Dacia (pronounced the same as mine)!! I am happy to say though that I don't hear it that often at all!!" Aug. 1, 2006

**
27. "my name i is daisha(day-shuh) my mom said she got it from a little girl she used to baby sit but hers was pronounced "deja) she said she just changed it a little,i never liked my name because no one could prononuce it but i have grown to love it thanks mom! congrats to all daisha's we have a great name" Jun. 17, 2006

**
28. "I was born in 1989 and my name id Daisha Sharee'! You say my name like this Day-Shuh Shuh-Ree! I have never met another Daisha in my life I heard of Dayjah's but no Daisha's I love my name because it is different. I think names are very important and I gave my little girl a unique name for that reason. Her name is Xzalyah Shante'se! You say it like this X-Zal-Yuh Shan-Teese!" May. 24, 2006

**
29. "My name is Daishea I have one extra letter I have never met anyone with my name. You pronouce my name Day-she-a." May. 7, 2006

**
30. "Alot of people think I'm black because of my name, but I'm not. It's odd. Kind of funny. But great. Oh and my name is Daisha pronounced Day-Sha and I know of another girl in this town with the same name as me." Mar. 30, 2006

**
31. "My daughter's name is Daisha, it is pronounced Day Sha, but she always get called Danisha." Mar. 17, 2006

**
32. "My Name Is Pronounced Day-Sha.I love My Name It is Very Proper And It is Special.People Say My Name Is Unique And They Call Me Da-Isha Or Daisy.At First I didn't Like It But I started To Love It Like Everyone Else." Feb. 8, 2006

**
33. "My name is also DAISHA and is pronounced day-sha. People generally had a harder time saying it correctly when I was younger but, now I am 23 and my friends learned quickly how to pronounce it correctly. I have met other girls with the name Daisha but they all spelled it completely different and pronounced it as deja'. I love my name because it is very different and I grew or "developed" a personality to fit the uniqueness of my name. :)" Jan. 28, 2006: Report as inappropriate

**
34. "My name is Daisha also. Pronounced Dai'-sha. I had some trouble growing up because for some reason people always wanted to throw in an invisible "n" and call me Danisha. I've learned to love my name despite people's difficulty saying it." Sep. 10, 2005:

**
35. "This is a great name! As you can probably tell, it is my name. I, however, spell my name DaiSha. The "a" sound is long, and people often say "Oh, like daisy." It was very unique, but I once thought it was too unique. Now, my husband and I have given our three girls even more unique names than mine, and I'm okay okay with that now. Very rarely do people pronounce my name correctly at first glance; they'll always say D-Shay or Deja, and it did bother me. I began to just correct them politely by answering their salutations "This is DaiSha" or "It's DaiSha--just change the 'y' to 'i' and add -sha." It;s who I am now and I love it!!!" Jul. 12, 2005

**
36. "it is pronounced day-shuh. people somtimes spell it daysha or dashia. I've never met some one my age named daisha" Jul. 9, 2005

**
37. "I love my name. (day-sha) people often say it like Die-ishia. Ive grown to lik it. Ive met people with my name and I have 2 cousins with the same name. I love that its unique and not lik isabella or amanda ;) those are popular and boring namea" Jul. 22, 2012

**
38. "my name is De'Shah (Day-Sha) i have a love/hate relationship w/ it. i get called deshawn deshay deshawna deaishia ugh its just seems like a half name like it should be more" Sep. 19, 2011:

**
39. "MY NAME IS DACIA PRONOUNCED DAISHA GROWING UP IN THE 70'S, AND 80'S I NEVER HEARD ANYONE WITH THAT NAME. I LOVE MY NAME IT IS VERY UNIQUE AND AS TIME GO BY I HEAR IT MORE AND MORE. IT WAS GIVEN TO ME FROM MY DAD." Feb. 28, 2011

**
40. "My name is D'Aisha pronounced (Die-ee-sha) my name get mispronounce on a daily basis even when I was little. I got so used to it that mostly I just go alone with how people would pronounce it unless they are way off..I love my name!! Thanx auntie!!" Oct. 25, 2010:

**
41. "Well I am 29 years old and my name is Dahisha. Some different, but i like it a lot." Jun. 2, 2010:

**
42. "GRAND DAUGHTER THEY ASK IF SHE IS BLACK WHEN SHE NOT WITH ME" Apr. 15, 2010

**
43. "My daughters name is Daisha. I thought I was being creative and I thought I invented it for her. Her grand father's name is David plus her great grandfather's name Elisha. I combined the two names. Hence: Daisha. I love it." Mar. 2, 2010:

**
44. "I named my oldest daughter Daisha born, 1980. I received that name from someone I had met in a Payless store while I was pregnant with her. Her father and uncle changed the spelling from the baby book spelling Dacia to Daisha. I was not so excited about the spelling change but it made his family happy to contribute to her naming. That was most important to me. Daisha LOVES her name." Apr. 26, 2008:

**
45. "i thought i was the first one to use this name i live in holland... nobody i know has the same name i pronounce it like the word deja veu because thats the most beautyfull way to say it" Jan. 10, 2008: "i thought i was the first one to use this name i live in holland... nobody i know has the same name i pronounce it like the word deja veu" Jan. 10, 2008:

**
46. "my name is Daisha.I am nine years old and I live in the u.k.I dont know anyone else called Daisha and when I tell people my name, they always ask me to tell them again which is quite annoying but I`m used to it now.I don't know any other Daishas in this country.At fist I didn't really like my name but now I think it's kinda cool." Dec. 11, 2006:

**
47. "My baby girl is Daisha people often compliment the name but sometimes she gets called Dah Isha. In Navajo it means little sister." Nov. 26, 2006

**
48. "my name is Daisha it's pronouced Day-sha I have never met any one with my name, people always say daija but i always correct them because i hate when people screw it up. I have always loved my name" Nov. 16, 2006:

**
49. "My name is LaDaisha i get called Daisha most of the time the only way others have a hard time with my name it seems like if they are "TEACHERS"" Nov. 14, 2006:

**
50. "My name is Daisha!It is pronounced DAY-SHA!!People call me DEJA,DAIAISHA,DAI'ISHA.i'VE been called that so many times I am used to it now,but I still would like someone to call me by my real name!!" Sep. 25, 2006:

**
51. "My Name is Daisha, and all the theachers say me danisha , and a lot of diferents names but always my friends tell me ýWhat is your name Daýsha or Daisha and i dont now _DVM" Sep. 15, 2006

**
52. "my name is Daisha and its pronounced Day Sha alot of people have problems saying it. its a very beautiful name and i love it!" Sep. 12, 2006:

**
53. "I have a daughter name "Daisha" and never heard any where else! I got it from the boys name Daishaun, I have never had a problem with anyone saying her name wrong! I think it is a beautiful name!" Aug. 28, 2006

**
54. "My daughters name is Daisha...pronounced with a long a...we named her in 1993.We have never met anyone with the same name." Aug. 15, 2006:

**
55. "My name is spelled Daysha, and I have always loved it, even though most people don't pronounce it correctly. I get compliments all the time, and two of my classmates even named their daughters Daysha!! Since college, I have met probably 4-5 people with my name." Jul. 25, 2006
"my name is daisha but no one seems to know the meaning of this name i have heard of other daisha's out there but havent met any most people think that i am african american when gthey hear my name" Jul. 6, 2006

**
56. "i named my daughter daishanai (day-sha-naa)she adjusted well its different and she is beautiful like her name ..so, it worked out" May. 8, 2006: Report as inappropriate

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Given the fact that non-Black Americans tend to shy away from selecting names for their children that are considered "Black names", it's noteworthy that some White and other non-Black people are still giving their girls the names "Daisha" and "Deja".

    The name "Deja" is listed as a Black girls name according to the research that was reported in the 2005 article "How do babies with super-black names fare?"http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_dismal_science/2005/04/a_roshanda_by_any_other_name.2.html.

    Here's an excerpt from that article which I included in this pancocojams post: http://pancocojams.blogspot.com/2015/05/distinctive-black-names-excerpt-from.html Distinctive Black Names: Excerpt From "A Roshanda by Any Other Name" Article (with my comments)
    "The California data establish just how dissimilarly black and white parents have named their children over the past 25 years or so—a remnant, it seems, of the Black Power movement. The typical baby girl born in a black neighborhood in 1970 was given a name that was twice as common among blacks than whites. By 1980, she received a name that was 20 times more common among blacks. (Boys' names moved in the same direction but less aggressively—likely because parents of all races are less adventurous with boys' names than girls'.) Today, more than 40 percent of the black girls born in California in a given year receive a name that not one of the roughly 100,000 baby white girls received that year. Even more remarkably, nearly 30 percent of the black girls are given a name that is unique among every baby, white and black, born that year in California. (There were also 228 babies named Unique during the 1990s alone, and one each of Uneek, Uneque, and Uneqqee; virtually all of them were black.)"

    ReplyDelete